Reports to Project Managers as assigned on projects.
- All work will be under the instruction and review of project managers and you will be encouraged to fully understand the purpose of the work you are doing. You will not be required to perform tasks that are beyond your current training.
- Assist engineers by performing routine aspects of structural engineering assignments. This may include checking shop drawings, answering construction questions, reviewing submittals, preparing loading calculations, running routine hand calculations, hand drawing sketches for connections, researching materials.
- Accompany engineers on site visits to jobs in construction. You will likely be asked to take photos or notes during the site visit and prepare follow up documentation.
- Assist with writing tasks such as editing construction specifications or preparing reports text and photos.
- Prepare sketches, technical comparisons and similar technical work as required by assignment.
- When other work is not available you are responsible for independently being productive by studying drawing sets, building codes and calculations prepared by others.
- Research code issues, material strengths, or design options and document findings for Project Engineers and/or Project Managers.
- Assist with other duties assigned by Project Engineers and/or Project Managers. This may include scanning, electronic filing, and data entry.
- Answer phone calls when receptions or office manager are unavailable. Note, all staff members help when receptionist cannot answer however intern may be asked to be the first to answer.
- May attend design review meetings and interact with clients as his or her level of experience progresses.
- Assist in Construction Administration by reviewing submittals and shop drawings and maintaining logs of submittals.
Currently enrolled in a Civil or Structural Engineering Degree program.